Salsiccia Risotto with Summer Vegetables
4 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 pound Piemonte Sausage – Bernie’s Sweet, Hot or Fennel and Hot Italian Sausage with casing removed.
3 Tablespoons water
5 Tablespoons Unsalted butter (separated)
1 small onion, cut into fine dice
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups arborio rice (14 ounces)
1/2 medium zucchini cut into half inch pieces
1/2 yellow summer squash cut into half inch pieces
1-2 teaspoons kosher salt (to taste)
5 cups baby spinach (5 ounces)
3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (+ extra for topping)
Freshly ground black pepper
- Turn a 6-7 quart slow cooker to high.
- In a saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a simmer.
- In a skillet, cook the sausage with the water over moderately high heat, break up the sausage with a spoon until the water has evaporated and the sausage is browned (approximately 10 minutes).
- Transfer sausage to slow cooker.
- In the same skillet that sausage was browned, melt 3 Tablespoons butter. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until translucent (about 4 minutes). Add wine and cook, scraping any browned sausage left in the pan until the wine is reduced by half (about 2 minutes). Stir in the rice and cook until all the wine is absorbed. Scrape the rice into the slow cooker.
- Add the hot chicken broth, zucchini, summer squash and salt. Cover and cook for 1 hour. Stir the mixture once after 30 minutes. The risotto is done when the rice is al dente and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Turn off slow cooker.
- Stir the spinach into the risotto in the slow cooker until just wilted. Stir in remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter the 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- Season with black pepper, top with additional cheese and serve immediately.