We visited Mike & Derek @ Mike Mc Kenzie’s Seed to Sausage Factory and Store near Lake Shabot, ON -just north of Kingston, ON Canada. Mike & Derek shared their expertise and delicious products with us.
Thanks, Gentlemen, our Salumi will be better because of you!
Claude & Susan
Piemonte Apple Cranberry Pecan Sausage Stuffing
¾ cup finely chopped onion.
1 ½ cups chopped parsley with leaves
1 cup butter or margarine (or substitute sausage drippings for part)
8 cups of soft bread cubes
1 ½ teaspoons dried sage leaves
1 teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon pepper
1 lb. Piemonte Apple/Cranberry/Pecan Sausage with casings removed.
- Remove casing from sausage crumble and brown. Set aside.
- Cook and stir onion and celery in margarine or butter and sausage drippings until the onion is tender.
- Stir in about ½ of bread cubes. Turn into a deep bowl. Add remaining ingredients including the browned Piemonte Apple/Cranberry/Pecan Sausage,
- Stuff turkey just before roasting or put into a dish and bake at 325 degrees for 35 – 40 minutes.
About 9 cups of stuffing (12 lb. turkey).
Thanksgiving Holiday and Sausage Brunch Scramble using Piemonte Sausage Merguez
For a super healthy breakfast, packed with sweet, savory and spicy flavors.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 oz pre-cooked Merquez sausage
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves firmly packed
- 6 basil fresh leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated, use to garnish
In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and salt and pepper. Whisk until the eggs are nice and frothy. Set aside.
In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the sausages and brown, until there is no pink. Add the tomato and cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the egg mixture and cook, without stirring, until the eggs just begin to set, about 1 minute. Softly push the eggs around, letting any uncooked egg begin to cook.
When the eggs are about half-cooked, after 1 to 2 minutes more, add the spinach, half of the chopped basil and cheese. Stir gently to combine and continue cooking until the eggs are completely set but are still moist, about 1 minute more. Serve the scramble in 4 portions, top with basil and more cheese if desired.